Skip to main content

A-Line Dress with Bow Tutorial





   I have seen this dress floating around the internet for quite some time and wanted to try my hand at making it for my daughter. I had a lovely Easter print and have been trying to come up with the perfect pattern for Zoe's Easter dress. Thus the a-line bow dress.

     So here is a short tutorial on how to attach a bow to any standard a line dress. I hope you all like it and would love to see your own personal creations if you do, please.

     Materials:
          Desired Fabrics for dress and for bow
          Medium Weight Interfacing
          Pins
          Mark-B-Gone Pen/Pencil
          Yard Stick
          Iron
          Rotary Cutter/Scissors 
          Ruler


Gather all materials so that they are close by


I took one of Zoe's dresses that fits her well and used it for my pattern. I added and additional 2 inches to the fabric to account for my pleat. (You can use any a-line dress pattern you have and add to it for your own pleat.)


Lay out your cut pieces and set aside the back piece for later on.
Making a pleat is essentially a very simple process of folding, pinning, ironing, and then sewing your fabric. Measure out from your center mark 1" both left and right sides. Fold fabric under from your 1" mark to your center mark and press. Repeat other side and you have a crisp pleat.


I then measured 5" down from the neckline and marked both sides of my pleat for button holes. This is what you will place your bow through. Make your holes and open with a seam ripper


Once you press the pleat again the button holes are hidden


I used a 16x10" piece of fabric and backed it with interfacing to give it some shape. Once folded and sewn my bow was approx. 8x5". Pull it through your button holes and Viola! !!! Adorable dress for any occasion.
  












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you Apologize to your Children?

     So, as I sit down to write this I've prayed over what to say and how to say it. Hoping that is all comes out right and can be understood. The question is...Do you apologize to your children? I know I'm not the only mama out there that had a baby up most of the night, the alarm didn't go off, you forgot to prep your child's lunch the night before so now you are even later than you could have been because you have to take the time to fix it. Things spun out of control at work or home the rest of the day and when the evening comes you are so beyond frustrated out it comes.....harsh words to our kids. I've lashed out many times before, it's like you just snap and it can't be controlled. You know what? It's ok! We all have bad days, you're doing a terrific job, Mama! Don't let it ruin you! It's what we do during the next few moments that I as a parent have come to view as extremely important and necessary! I stop what I am doing and I pull Zo

Marking off the Bucket List!

     I don't know if anyone has a bucket list or if you aren't sure of what it is I will explain it. Basically it is experiences you want to have accomplished during your lifetime. I wrote out my bucket list in October of 2009 when my daughter Zoe was about to turn a year old. Since then I have added to it and marked things off as well. One of the things I have prayed for since having our first daughter was for her to accept Jesus as her Lord and follow in baptism.  The Sunday before last she did that very thing! She made the decision to believe and follow Christ! My heart has been over flowing with joy and excitement for her! We are so very proud of her, she is so sweet, loving and caring and my prayer is that she will always stay that way. She will follow in baptism the next time our church has it! So I get to mark another wonderful experience off my bucket list! 1.See the Grand Canyon at sunrise w/my family.  2 .Make myself a room in our home that is just for me!  (Then t

The Beautiful Wife

      I have had the privilege to be in a small group called The Beautiful Wife. We are studying this book "The Beautiful Wife" By Sandy Ralya. When starting this group I found out that when these groups are going on Sandy herself is praying over us. Not only our church, but her...the very author of her book is praying for us.  You can email her to let her know you are hosting this group and she encourages you through special messages and prayer. I just think this is an amazing way to connect with an author who is passionate about women becoming a more beautiful wife!      Throughout the last 6 weeks we have read, studied and journaled topics from Self-Care to Inviting Romance into your marriage. It has been a very deep, emotional and eye opening 6 weeks for me. There are areas in my marriage that were quietly hidden that have been opened raw and healed through prayer, journaling and sharing with this amazing group of women that I have come to love and support. It is easy to